June 13, 2005

God does not want me to shop at Wal-mart...

Which is good, since I don't shop there. Except the other night when out trying to find some necessary items. I needed a memory card for my camera and my daughter needed some skirts which she knew they had there. So we went.
Wal-mart is everything in a big box store that I oppose. No matter the PR commercials that are shown about what a wonderful place it is to work, I don't believe it.
Remember the "Buy American" campaign from years ago that Sam kicked off? Guess how many products on the shelves there are made in America anymore? Instead, how many products are produced on the shoulders of human misery (many products are made in China by a bevy of people who make $90 per month!)?
Not that they are alone in this, but they are the largest retailer in the world. If they were a country, their GDP would equal that of Saudi Arabia.
From American Independent Business Alliance (http://www.amiba.net/pressroom/walmart_hitting_wall_8.29.04.html):
"Wal-Mart is more than twice the size of its biggest global competitor, France's Carrefour SA. Blue-chip suppliers such as Procter & Gamble, Mattel Co. and Gillette Co. count on Wal-Mart as their most important customer. They tailor their output to Bentonville's requirements — even to the point, in the case of one music label, of producing a sanitized version of a bestselling CD to earn a place on Wal-Mart's shelves."
Listen: The memory card I purchased measures approximately 3 inches by 2 inches. It was packed in a plastic bubble that measured around 18 inches by 12 inches. Why? I think it was strictly to reduce theft (hard to pocket that). And, lest you think it was the manufacturer on their own, I saw the same card at a competitor in a more normal 4X6 inch package, albeit for $10 USD more. I'm not sure is there is any correlation there, but it fits into my view of this retail behemoth.
Anyway....
When we walked out of the store, there was a huge flash of lightening directly overhead and a subsequent huge boom of thunder which caused many of the store's entering/exiting patrons to jump noticeably.
I turned to my kid and told her, "See? That is god telling me that I am never to shop here again!"
And I will not.

No comments: