May 4, 2005

and another weirdness

I was sitting out on my front deck this evening (after breaking in, of course - see below), smoking yet another in the long line of cigarettes to get me to the 4 pack a day level so I can feel like I actually have recently accomplished something, when a traveling salesman showed up at my door.
He said he was from Kirby Vacuum and he held a small Dustbuster size vacuum in his hand.
Now, first of all, I didn't know that any vacuum manufacturers were still selling door to door. Secondly, Kirby, being the defacto standard of bulletproof sucking machinery didn't seem the sort of company that would deign to sell a wimpy little version of itself.
I politely declined the free shampoo (of the carpet, of course) and cleaning of one room to prove their worth and sent the amiable lad on his way.
Question: Could this possibly be legit?
Where I live, door-to-door political activists are expected and even encouraged. But the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Vacuum/Fuller Brush sales types are viewed down the end of the nose as being nuisancy at best.
Ah well, it's not like anyone could abscond with much if he was, indeed, casing the joint. Besides, I already broke into my place once today...what are the chances of a second break-in on the same day?

No comments: