May 1, 2005

Plumber in a thong...

A couple of weeks ago, a friend and I were out at a local watering hole (and when I say hole, I really mean it - this place is an old dive that has the market on kitsch. But they do have Shiner Bock on tap for $1.75 a pint, so it makes it well worth the ambiance or lack thereof...)
Anyway, while we were sitting there enjoying our libations and listening to the collection of Celtic musicians wail out their one and only song (which lasts for hours...musicians come and go but the song stays the same), two women walked in. They were obviously dressed for a night out so it was surprising that they walked into this place. They found seats at the bar and a couple minutes later my friend starts laughing and tells me to turn around and take a look.
Well, while sitting, one of the woman's jeans had ridden halfway down her ass. I realize that this is considered hip and trendy if the girl is wearing a thong and this one wasn't!! So much for high fashion in Madison.
We started joking and I interjected that maybe she was a plumber since she had the look down. We continued to comment (discretely, of course) and wound up the evening not too much later.
The problem is that the phrase 'Plumber in a thong' stuck in my head and I cannot clear it from rumbling around in my subconscious. If you say the words right, they make a pretty good syncopated rhythmic structure. So, of course, I had to write a songs about it.
But, I'm stuck. I got the first verse and the chorus done, but have nowhere to go with it from here. Meanwhile, the damn phrase is stuck like a phono needle on a scratched 45 in my lower cognitive functions.
I guess I have to keep working on it or go crazy trying.

No comments: