May 5, 2005

a social work out

The company I work for is a sponsor of the local rep theater troupe and tonight was the opening night of their last production of the season. I was able to comp a ticket for it and was looking forward to seeing 'dirty Blonde' - a humorous romp based on the life of Mae West.
As part of the festivities, we were supplying decadent chocolate from a local chocolatier and varied selections from a local wine shop. When I got to the venue, the sweets were there, but not the wine (much to my dismay!). Shortly, though, two cases of various vintages arrived and the theater patrons were anxiously awaiting the chance to slake their thirst.
But nobody thought to bring a corkscrew.
Luckily, I, as always, had my handy-dandy Swiss army knife in my pocket which has a small corkscrew as one of the required utensils. It is not, however, meant to be a serious means of broaching many bottles. I think I opened 22 bottles with it; not smoothly, either - to pop the cork with this thing, you have to twist it in, grasp the bottle with one hand as well as between your thighs and heave mightily. Even then, chances are good that the cork will break in half since the screw is much shorter than your standard garden variety suburban corkscrew - let alone the cork. I can categorically state that the new-fangled faux corks are much more difficult to pull!
But we got them all out and I am now lauded as a hero with my coworkers.
And, as an extra added bonus, the play was quite good. It had a bit of everything...some pathos, a lot of laughter ("You are my friend - I wouldn't care if you fuck your cat!"), a great leading lady who had the Mae West persona down cold ("When choosing between two evils, I pick the one I haven't tried yet") and even a boob shot a la Janet Jackson (though I think this wardrobe malfunction was a planned event).
All in all, a well rounded and enjoyable evening.

No comments: