May 11, 2005

yet another audi story

So I am sitting in the parking lot of Tobacco Outlet (I know, I know...my vices always catch up with me) and I'm attempting to start my car for the journey home. The key, however, just dead-ends at the end of its turning radius without engaging the starter. Usually, there is a spring tension at the end of the keystroke where the 'starting zone' is, but now there is nothing. I am able to quickly deduce that I have a bad ignition switch.
So, I spend the next two hours in that parking lot ripping apart the dashboard trying to get at the starter switch. After being able to access it, I then can pull the wiring harness off the back of it and begin the journey called 'hot-wiring'. Audi doesn't make this easy.
Eventually, after another hour of cussing and sparking, I come up with the combination of jumper wires that finally gets it started. I feel like McGuiver! I drive home.
So now tonight, I have to cobble a starter button tapped into the electrical of the switch. The key will still be needed to get power to the right places (instead of the jumper wires), but then the button will crank the engine over.
This may actually fix my prior hard start problem as well. I can only hope for such a bonus...

No comments: