May 4, 2005

The idiocy continues...

I am becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy...of my own stupidity.
Today, I stop at home after work and gather some postal-bound documents. I know have to be quick to ensure that I make the last pickup time. I have the car key in my hand - it is separate and an extra dating from the days when I had to lock the car while running since it wouldn't restart easily - and I close the door to the apartment. As I hear the snick of the lock, I realize that my other keys are laying on the table just inside the door.
"Oh, damn!" I chide myself.
But, I have to run to get to the drop box, so I do.
Upon my return, I spent the next 30 minutes breaking into my place. I had the garage door opener, so I was able to access my domain that far. But the door to the house proper was locked.
Interestingly enough, I have 6 different key rings laying in my toolbox in the garage. So I tried them all and discovered that not only won't they open the door to the house, but I have absolutely no idea what any of these keys fit.
I finally was able to jimmy the door lock with a knife blade and get in.
If I was a professional, I would have been able to get into the place in about...oh....three seconds or so. I think I'd better investigate a better deadbolt or something.
I wait expectantly for this wretched week to be completed.

No comments: