May 17, 2005

Wacky night with fire

Last time I dealt with fire (not the campground type or the Bic type), I was at a local high school football game and came home to find my residence surrounded by smoke and frantic activity.
Tonight, I'm at the high school for my daughter's spring concert. 30 seconds after the concert was over, the fire alarms went off.
Let me just add here that it has been a very long time since I have had to deal with a fire drill in a primary education setting.
First thought was that the custodial staff pulled the alarm so they could get everyone out of there sooner so they could go home.
But the alarm didn't turn off; what an obnoxious noise it was, too! (I suppose it was designed that way, huh?)
Anyway, we all filed outta there just the way you are supposed to: no running or pushing, just calmly take yourself outside. Good thing the adults took at least that out of their own early years.
First sign of real trouble was a custodian holding open the doors to an alternative hallway yelling at people that they could also go that way, but to "Hurry up and get out of here!"
Once outside it was not long before the fire trucks showed up. And, I thought I was getting whiffs of smoke.
But I'm not sure what actually transpired...when I left, there were four fire trucks there and they showed no signs of leaving anytime soon.
Guess I have to watch the news tonight to find out.
My oldest might be happy, though, if she doesn't have school tomorrow; there, I imagine, might be the silver lining.

1 comment:

jess said...

well..... did she have school???