May 9, 2005

My next-door neighbor

The lady who lives in the apartment building next door to me is very nice, but a tad strange. She spends many evenings outdoors pulling weeds, cutting sod to make room for small gardens and essentially beautifying the landscape.
But she is renting!
I applaud her efforts in making the most of her domain. And, tonight, she extolled the virtues of cutting away the large trees that threaten the very foundations of the apartment building where lives in.
But...when she walks, she doesn't swing her arms! There was a Seinfeld episode that latched onto this very thing which I always think of whenever I see her out in the yard. And it is disconcerting, to say the least.
It seems awkward...it seems unnatural.
How can a person walk with their arms hanging at their side like dead weight? Gawky - that's the word for it.
It takes all kinds in the world. I am accepting of them all (or, so I like to think), but....

No comments: